October 2012 "Taste of English Football" Trip Includes Premier League, NFL

Seacoast United organized its popular "Taste of English Football" trip to include both English soccer and American football games as the group of 24 enjoys a 5-night/6-day stay in England from October 26th-31st.  This unique fan trip includes two professional soccer games, the NFL’s International Series matchup between the New England Patriots and St. Louis Rams, as well as sightseeing in and around London.  

The group arrived at Heathrow Airport on Friday morning, October 26th and spent the afternoon in the city before attending the Barclay’s Premier League match Arsenal vs. Queens Park Rangers at the Emirates Stadium.  Arsenal scored a 2nd half goal late in the game to come away with a 1-0 victory.

On Sunday, enthusiastic fans viewed the Liverpool v. Everton match at a local pub, then joined up with the 84,000 in attendance for the NFL’s Patriots v Rams at Wembley Stadium.  St. Louis jumped to an early 7-0 lead, but New England went on a 45-0 run for the 45-7 win.  Jerseys from all 32 NFL teams were seen on the day in and around the stadium.

Sightseeing was on the schedule for all as they visited various points of interest in London, including the Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace, the Tower Bridge, London Eye, and more.  Some elected to hop on a double-decker tour bus while others took a ride up the Thames via boat.

In the final match of the trip, the group headed northwest to Madejeski Stadium for the Capital One Cup match between Reading and Arsenal on Tuesday evening.  Reading jumped to a 3-0 lead in the first 20 minutes, extending to 4-0 heading to halftime.  Arsenal's Theo Wolcott chipped the keeper on a 1v1 opportunity in the seconds leading into the break for a score of 4-1.  In the 2nd half, Arsenal staged an unbelievable comeback, scoring two goals in the final 5 minutes to draw even at 4-4.  In the 30 minute overtime period, a total of four more goals were scored in a historic comeback by Arsenal to win by the score of 7-5.

The trip returned to Boston on Wednesday, October 31st.